Monday, March 31, 2014

Coping with Writer's Block

I find it a bit ironic that, despite spending an abundant amount of time in compelling and inspiring locales, I cannot think of what to say by way of a blog post. I think I suffer from sensory overload on occasion, necessitating a significant rest to step back and take in the barrage of experiences that a trip like this creates.

Sometimes this:
Feels like this:




I think Edinburgh, in particular requires an especially deep reflection. As you (should) have already read, I went there entirely on a whim. As a result, without prior research I was particularly taken aback to realize just how influential it has been on the modern world.

On my walking tour, our guide (named Andrew: indicative of the nobility of such a profession) shared a massive list of historical figures with roots in the city. Everywhere I visited reminded me that Edinburgh has been a major launching pad for great ideas for some time. Andrew argued it’s because you can spend all day drinking and chatting in a pub, where all the greatest ideas emerge. Appropriately, it was while we were drinking after the tour.

As I try to rush out two blog posts a week, though, sitting back and thinking about these historical icons is serving to calm me a bit. When I encounter writer’s block, I work myself into a slight panic, thinking I should be spouting great ideas all the time. (I operate on the assumption that many of my ideas are awesome.) However, the impression I’m taking away from Edinburgh is a reminder of patience.

While this lifestyle affords me plenty of interesting experiences, I must remind myself that every so often I’ll need to employ some longer reflection to really process my thoughts. This way I can properly reinforce my writing and bring you, my faithful readers, the most inspiring posts possible (it’s been working, too!).
No shortage of inspirational pictures, though
The city’s iconic castle represents this in two senses. First, and superficially, it takes a long time to build a castle that can stand for 900+ years. Second, the view of the castle inspired JK Rowling in creating the most successful novel franchise in history. But it didn’t come easily.

Probably because it's usually too misty to see out the window (view from the now famous cafe)
Of course, I’ll still be blogging twice a week, but I’ll also remember not to panic too much regarding the long-term plans I have with my writing, which this is helping immensely. As much as I talk about travel making anything possible, I’m now realizing a corollary to this ideal, that it’s a slow process that will not come easily at all times, as it has for the first three weeks.


It’s a great realization to come to without pressure, in the comfort and leisure of a British teahouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment